Use a success-oriented program to build requisite reading skills in rhyming, segmenting, and sound placement and blending.
- Improve phonological awareness
- Solve the phoneme/grapheme code of English
- Improve word attack and spelling skills
This well-established program links phonological awareness instruction with phonetically-controlled reading and spelling activities to build success and carryover. The activities and manipulatives can be used with individuals, small groups, or an entire classroom. The kit contains:
- 115-page activities manual with goal-directed exercises at word, syllable, phoneme, and grapheme levels (50 reproducible phoneme segmenting activity pages)
- 60 plastic cubes
- 76 picture cards
- 5 number cards
- family letter
- home activities
- 50 plastic chips
The activities are arranged in this developmental hierarchy:
- Rhyming—recognition, discrimination, and production of rhyming words
- Word Level—sentence segmentation and compound word segmentation, blending, isolation, and deletion
- Syllable Level—segmentation, blending, isolation, and deletion
- Phoneme Level—isolation, segmentation, blending, deletion, and substitution
- Grapheme Level—blending and substituting, substituting and decoding, and decoding and encoding
Copyright © 1995
Warning: CHOKING HAZARD - Small parts, not for children under 3 yrs.
I am using the Phonological Awareness Kit Primary with a sweet, 8-year-old girl who, until recently, was deemed a non-reader. Her progress has been unbelievable. We have worked through almost the entire program and she is now sounding out short vowel words and sound segmenting many other words. Her "PaPa" cried the first time he heard her read a decodable text reader. Her mom said she read it ten times that night! This product has truly helped change this girl's life.
Melinda Groenke, SLP