Teach six reading comprehension skills that good readers use! The content is appealing to older students.
- Gain meaning from what is read
- Improve listening, vocabulary, and thinking skills
The program has 60 narrated stories and 480 multiple-choice questions. Customize instruction by:
- choosing the readability level, ranging from 4.0 to 6.9
- using story review while answering comprehension questions
- using or withholding narration
- using the progress counter
The reading comprehension questions are similar to those found on classroom and national reading comprehension tests. Questions challenge students to think about the reading passage and use reasoning skills. The comprehension questions address:
- the story's main idea and details
- the story's vocabulary and semantics
- the targeted reading comprehension skill
Other program features:
- story illustration on every screen
- user controls the screen advancement
- track and print progress grids for multiple users
- track scores for single session and cumulative sessions
- content parallels the Spotlight on Reading & Listening Comprehension Level 2 6-Book Set
Copyright © 2007
I absolutely love this software! After unsuccessfully trying two other software packages (not challenging enough for my two high functioning children with autism), the third one is the charm. Spotlight on Reading & Listening Comprehension Interactive Software is EXACTLY what I've been looking for! My children are high level readers. Their areas of weakness are reading & listening comprehension. The narrations and pictures in this software really capture their attention. The skill areas challenge them and make them try harder. My daughter was so excited about the program, she went straight through eight stories! She received 100% on only one story, but she is eager to meet the challenge. Both children begged me to keep this software! I'm going to tell all of my friends about the wonderful world of software that you offer for children with autism. You are a blessing and I can't wait to purchase more products from you. I am so glad that you have a 100% guarantee policy, which allows us to return what we can't use and try again until we find exactly what works for our children. No retail store will let you return software after opening it. Thank you for being so considerate to the consumer. YEAAAAA...A COMPANY THAT FINALLY KNOWS WHAT WORKS!
A.M. Magwood, Parent
Stone Mountain, GA
- Instruction in comprehension can help students understand, remember, and communicate with others about what they read (NIFL, 2003).
- Good readers use metacognitive strategies to think about and have control over their reading (NIFL, 2003).
- Teacher questioning improves students' learning from reading because it gives them a purpose for reading, focuses their attention on what they are to learn, helps them think actively as they read, encourages them to monitor their comprehension, and helps them review content and relate what they've learned to what they already know (NIFL, 2003).
- Teaching students to ask their own questions improves their active processing of text and their comprehension (NIFL, 2003).
- Digital supports, such as sound, speech, animation, and video, remove many barriers to independent reading and comprehension (Labbo, 2006).
Spotlight on Reading & Listening Comprehension Level 2 Interactive Software incorporates the above principles and is also based on expert professional practice.
Labbo, L.D. (2006). Literacy and pedagogy and computer technologies: Toward solving the puzzle of current and future classroom practices. Australian Journal of Language and Literacy, 29(3), 199-207.
National Institute for Literacy (NIFL). (2003). Put reading first: The research building blocks for teaching children to read. Available from www.nifl.gov/nifl/publications.html
- WinXP or later
- 1024 x 768 Screen Resolution
- OSX 10.2.6 to 10.6
(Not compatible with Lion, OSX 10.7)
- 1024 x 768 Screen Resolution