Exciting, new ways to treat childhood apraxia of speech plus record and playback features, full-color pictures, and student data management make this app a must have.
- Develop intelligible speech
- Progress from basic syllables to multisyllabic words in sentences
Click here for purchase orders or a volume purchase.
This app lets you provide exciting, intensive practice to children who:
- are nonverbal or have unintelligible speech
- have inconsistent sound error patterns
- don't demonstrate progress with traditional speech therapy approaches
- demonstrate motor-planning deficits for speech
- have increased errors when saying complex sound combinations
The app uses an evidence-based progression. Phonetically-controlled words let you introduce one phonemic variable at a time. A five-level cueing hierarchy gradually increases demands on motor planning. Children progress from basic syllable sequences to multisyllabic word production in sentences.
The app trains two skill areas: auditory discrimination and listening. The 240 colorful pictures are carefully organized to give a precise progression of demand on the child's motor planning skills.
- VC/CV (up, go)
- CVC: no change in consonant (pop, cake), change in consonant but not place (mop, sun), change in consonant and place (bed, job)
- CVCV: no change in consonant or vowel (no-no, cocoa), change in vowel but not consonant (puppy, daddy), change in consonant and vowel
- CVCVC (pocket, chicken)
- Multisyllabic (bicycle, helicopter)
The cards are further categorized with markers of syllable type, sound placement, and vowels used.
The illustrations are relevant to children to make therapy and carryover more meaningful and productive. The pictures match the content of the LinguiSystems Preschool Apraxia Cards.
The free LinguiSystems Apraxia Cards App Lite version lets your students interact with 25 target words in auditory discrimination and listening activities. The full version has 240 target words.
Extra features let you:
- hear the word as many times as you want by touching the audio button
- record word productions and play them back
- score word productions as correct, approximate, or incorrect
- save previous session's data for hundreds of students
- email data
- randomize picture presentation
- navigate easily with back and forth arrows
Copyright © 2012
- Therapy for childhood apraxia of speech (CAS) should involve significant practice and trial and error opportunities to establish the neural circuitry required for skilled motor behavior (Hodge, 2008).
- To change speech behaviors in CAS, instruction should:
- Be appropriate for the child's phonetic abilities and speech motor development
- Be hierarchical, active, systematic, repetitive, and frequent
- Focus on speech sound accuracy in various word shapes in multisyllabic utterances (Hodge, 2008)
- The main focus of CAS intervention needs to be motor speech activities with multiple opportunities for production in each session (ASHA, 2007).
LinguiSystems Apraxia Cards App is consistent with these principles and is based on expert professional practice.
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). (2007). Childhood apraxia of speech. Retrieved May 15, 2010, from www.asha.org/policy
Hodge, M.H. (2008, November). Motor speech disorders in pediatric practice. Presentation at the meeting of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Chicago, IL.
Apple iTunes Store
- iPad only
- English only
- not compatible with iPod or iPhone
- not available