- LinguiSystems' Free CEUs have been discontinued.
- You may no longer enroll in additional CEU courses.
- All courses you enrolled in but did not complete have been cancelled.
- Courses completed in June will be reported to ASHA by June 30, 2014.
- All future DVD for Groups courses are cancelled.
- For your records, please print course certificates and your transcript as soon as possible.
Counseling Theories and Skills for SLPsAuthor: Hope Reed
CEUs offered: 0.25
CEEs offered: 2.5
Intermediate Level; Professional Area
This course prepares SLPs to understand and deal with the emotions of families of people with communication disorders by reviewing counseling theories, counseling skills, the SLPs’ role in counseling, and recognizing the need for referral to the appropriate professional.
This course is for Speech-Language Pathologists.
Participants who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Identify key features of major counseling theories.
- Apply principles from the Erikson Cycle of Life to the field of communication sciences and disorders.
- Describe counseling skills that are pertinent to the field of communication sciences and disorders.
- Summarize how specific emotions inhibit and/or promote the therapeutic process.
Hope Reed , SLP. D., CCC-SLP, C.O.M., is an assistant professor and certified orofacial myologist in the communicative sciences and disorders (CSD) program at Alabama A & M University (AAMU).
Dr. Reed earned her B. S. in special education/speech-language pathology and M. S. in communicative sciences and disorders from AAMU and her doctorate in speech-language pathology from Nova Southeastern University.
She serves on the executive board of the Speech and Hearing Association of Alabama, is chair of the North Alabama Speech and Hearing Association (NASHA), and is an associate editor for the International Journal of Orofacial Myology (IJOM). She holds certification/licensure from the International Association of Orofacial Myology (IAOM), the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), the Alabama Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (ABESPA), and the Alabama State Department of Education.
Hope Reed, Counseling Theories and Skills for SLPs, employed by Alabama A & M University
Financial - Author for LinguiSystems, Inc. and receives royalty payments. In addition, Hope Reed received a stipend from LinguiSystems, Inc. for writing Counseling Theories and Skills for SLPs.
Nonfinancial - No relevant nonfinancial relationships exist.
LinguiSystems, Inc., publisher of products for SLPs, funded this self-study online course, Counseling Theories and Skills for SLPs, in its entirety. Some information contained in this presentation is from a product or products written by Hope Reed and sold by LinguiSystems, Inc.